Thursday, January 19, 2012

Reading Log #2


"And in that moment, I swear we were infinite" (Chbosky, 39). I want to feel what he feels. Is being infinite running into the sunset, young and care-free, casting a mere silhouette to the past? Is being infinite the feeling of escaping a small Midwest town and never turning back? Or is being infinite not having any feeling, whatsoever?

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky intimately explores the existence of a lost soul, Charlie, who gets swallowed by the complex contemplation of every minuscule move he makes. Whether it be about love, loss, sex, drugs, or the occasional tree peeping through his bedroom window, to Charlie, there is always something greater to the picture. Philosopher? No. Pensive high school student with sheer curiosity? Exactly. This novel is set up in the style of letters to "a friend" who remains unnamed. By composing the novel in this manner, the author can speak more intimately and engage the reader more than he could with just journal entries. 

While I found this novel relatable upon many measures, the lachrymose sensations it brought upon me invoked my own deep contemplation resulting in a short abeyance of reading. Living inside of one's head for a short period of time can take one to a place he never thought existed.  Too often in society, we judge others based upon their outer appearance or maybe by their mannerisms. It's completely unethical because we don't know what makes that person this way; nonetheless, it's who we are as humans and it will continue infinitely. This novel teaches that even though everyone has (for the lack of a better word) crap in their lives, they have the power to do anything. Too often, I find myself stuck in the daily routine. Finding the true definition, better yet, the true feeling of being "infinite" has come to play a huge factor in the way I approach things. An unconventional way to finding a new adventure? I'm up for the challenge.

5 comments:

  1. I believe that not all travelers are lost. Your plan for life doesn't necessarily come to you in the form of an epiphany. Sometimes, life takes you down some paths with the intention of leading you down a different one later on.

    Your analysis on the novel is very insightful and your personal connection is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In all reality, it is what makes us humans that allows us to rise above the difficulties life throws our way. We are stronger than we think, and sometimes it only takes a little inward reflection to realize that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your personal connection is really great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this. Very insightful. I also enjoyed you using a vocab word :) So

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the personal connections you make in your reflection. Above all though what really caught my attention was your use of vocab. Incredible, you're the daughter I never had, great work Nighthawk.

    ReplyDelete