Sunday, January 8, 2012

Renewed Love

Look at that nerd over there. How could he be so engrossed into something so... imaginary? Why does he waste his time? This is my thought process as I stare across the classroom in our free homework time. Most people yell obnoxiously across the room to their friends while I inconspicuously play Angry Birds on my iPod.
As an elementary student, I always wanted to be better and smarter than anyone in my class. I always had a book in my hand, not because I was forced to, but because I wanted to. I would finish the entire Summer Reading Program at the library within a week and be forced to impatiently wait to get my prizes until the proper dates. However, as I got into middle school and high school, I lost all interest. I got so caught up in playing sports, school work, and spending time with friends. Even the books assigned in English class didn't appeal to me. There were some that I never even opened. Needless to say, SparkNotes became my best friend. My grades definitely started to reflect the poor choices I had made. If it wasn't for my love of writing that saved me, I would have been in a sunken ship long ago.
The first day of Etymology class really opened my eyes. I am being graded on outside reading? I have to read 100-150 pages each week? You must be trippin, Mr. Hill. However, I took this as my opportunity to get back on track. Sure enough, the second day of class, a friend recommended a book to me and I read nearly 200 pages the first night I had possession of it. All day at school I was fantasizing what could possibly happen next. The characters of the book almost seemed as if they were my friends. They were all I could think about.
Reading has become my newest interest. Now, I guess I'm "that nerd" taking advantage of any opportunity to read. It is beneficial in so many ways: tremendous learning experience, offers entertainment, and acts as an escape. It's my own escape from reality. Who needs drugs when you have books?

No comments:

Post a Comment